Alan Lau is the Chief Executive Officer and founder of Uni Immigration Consultancy Ltd since 2007. He is instrumental in setting the company's strategy and growing revenue through building key alliances. Every year Mr Lau serves over 200 new multi-million net worth clients from China and South East Asia. He Boosted the sales volume by 20-fold in the 5-year period from 2007 to 2012.
Hong Kong is a well-known cosmopolitan city. Due to its superior geographic location and the continuous inflow of international capital, Hong Kong has developed into a global financial hub. But there are more to just investment opportunity in this small city of seven million population. Hong Kong is a free economy with among the lowest tax rates in Asia and no inheritance tax imposed on its people.
Despite China taking over the management of this Special Administration Region since 1997, people continue to enjoy protection of private property and full privacy of human rights. People in Hong Kong live a free spirit life with no fears of any ideological and political detention.
Cost of living in Hong Kong is relatively low compared to neighbouring developed nations like Japan, Korea, Singapore and Taiwan. Public transportation, medical and telecommunication services are very efficient. Hong Kong also boasts of several tourist attractions like the Disneyland Hong Kong, Victoria Harbor, The Peak and the Giant Buddha to name a few. When it comes to dining, arts, theatre and shopping, Hong Kong has attracted many world renown chefs, international fashion brands and performances. Indeed, tourists are often left with wonderful memories of the city that they call Hong Kong the entertainment paradise. All these unique characteristics blended with a multi-cultural skilled labour force has made Hong Kong a top destination for immigrants globally, especially people from China who share very similar culture and the Chinese language.
Due to globalisation and the rapid development of economy of China, the HKSAR Government has implemented the Capital Investment Entrant Scheme (CIES) since October 2003 in order to facilitate the entry for the eligible investors and their family. The scheme was launched to meet the needs of the future economic development and to attract more capital inflow to Hong Kong.
Five Criteria To Be Eligible For Capital Investment Entrant Scheme
To qualify for admission under the Scheme, the entrant must:
1. Be aged 18 or above when applying for entry under the Scheme;
2. Have net assets of not less than HK$10 million to which he is absolutely beneficially entitled throughout the two years preceding his application* ;
3. Have invested within six months before submission of his application to the Immigration Department, or will invest within six months after the granting of approval in principle by the Immigration Department, not less than HK$10 million in permissible investment asset classes (except Certificates of Deposit which must be invested within the latter period) as detailed in page “Permissible Investment Asset Classes”;
4. Have no adverse record both in Hong Kong and country/region of residence; and
5. Be able to demonstrate that he is capable of supporting and accommodating himself and his dependants, if any, on his own without relying on any return on the permissible investment assets, employment or public assistance in Hong Kong.